Herbal drinks are an ideal alternative to beverages like tea and coffee and certainly to alcoholic drinks. This is more so during summer, when you need to replace the water that you lose through perspiration. Alcohol and coffee can cause a depletion of vitamins and minerals, while coffee contains caffeine, an artificial stimulant. It can increase the heart rate and makes the blood alkaline. In other words, it should be avoided, if one wishes to increase one’s level of fitness and good health.
You can make delicious thirst quenchers out of herbal drinks, fresh fruits and vegetables. Here are some of the benefits:
- If one selects fresh fruit or vegetable juices, without adding sugar, it is possible to have a low calorie drink.
- Fresh juices and herbal drinks can cause detoxification of the body, by getting rid of toxins and wastes. They can cleanse the body and purify the blood.
- They can also provide excellent nourishment.
- Some herbs are natural coolants and make ideal drinks for the summer.
- Freshly extracted juices of fruits and vegetables are very easily assimilated by the body.
We have formulated herbal drinks containing Rose and Khus, as these are natural coolants. They are ideal as summer drinks. The body loses fluids during summer through perspiration. Herbal drinks help to replenish the fluid loss, keeping the body cool and healthy. They are refreshing and help to purify the body, by eliminating toxins and wastes.
- Add water or soda to Rose or Khus drinks, with a dash of lemon, to make refreshing and reviving drinks, specially during summer.
- Rose herbal drink can be added to lassi. Add a pinch of salt and roasted and powdered cumminseed for spice.
- Lemon and Mint – Crush mint leaves and allow it to stand in boiled hot water for an hour. When the water is cool, add lemon juice and ice, to make a refreshing drink. You may add a dash of honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. Rock salt or chaat masala can be added, instead of salt and pepper. Mint cools and also aids digestion.
- Fruit Punch – Use pineapple juice and mango juice in equal quantities. Mango pulp can be added with the juice. Add a pinch of salt and crushed ice. Optional – add fresh cream.
- Pineapple and Orange juice – These two fruits make a delicious drink when used together. You can use freshly extracted juices of fresh pineapple and orange. Remember to dilute with water. Pineapple contains enzymes and helps digestion. Orange juice is rich in Vitamin C.
- Tomato-carrots-cucumber – Use tomato juice and add freshly extracted carrot and cucumber juices. Add a stalk of celery and run this in the blender. Add a squeeze of lemon and a few drops of Tabasco. It helps to neutralize acids in the body and make the blood more alkaline.
- Watermelon is a real thirst-quencher. Extract the juice, add one or two small chunks of watermelon, lemon juice and crushed ice. Add a tsp of rosewater for flavour.