You won’t believe it but bitter gourd, popularly known as Karela is a very tasty and healthy food that everyone must add in their every day meals. However reluctance to eat this vegetable is totally understandable, owing to the bitter taste that it has.
But them there is this one mouth watering Karela dish that can let you enjoy karela without being put-off by its bitter taste. We are talking about the tasty stuffed karela, which is commonly known as Bharwa karela. So, here is one simple and easy recipe for stuffed karela.
Ingredients for stuffed karela
- 6 to 8 karelas
- 1 Tbsp of salt
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of ginger powder or thick paste
- 1 Tbsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of roasted cumin (Bhuna zeera)
- 1/8 tsp of heeng
- 1 tsp of roasted and coarsely pounded fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 tsp roasted and coarsely pounded fenugreek seeds (Methi dana)
- 2 Tbsp mustard oil
How to make stuffed karela
- Scrape off the rough surface of the karela; make a slit on one side of the karela. Rub salt all over them. Keep aside for half an hour.
- After half an hour, squeeze the juice out of the karelas to take out all the bitterness and along with that scoop out the seeds too.
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients of stuffing and mix well.
- Now, stuff the karelas with the stuffing.
- Take a shallow pan and heat oil.
- Place all the bitter gourds on the pan and fry them well.
- Cook until tender. Turn them at intervals.
- Your bharwa karela is ready.
Read more in Healthy Recipes.
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.