- Is your belly giving you a hard time?
- All you need is to make a few lifestyle changes
- Try these exercises to lose belly fat
Is your belly fat giving you a hard time? Are you not able to fit in that favourite pair of jeans? If the answer is yes, then you need to make some changes in your lifestyle and switch up your exercise game to get back in shape. We all know, size does not matter but health does. A big belly brings with it a lot of health challenges and puts you at risk of heart diseases, stomach problems, including others.
To break it to you, we have here a few exercises that can help you lose belly fat without too much hassle. And if you thought that dieting (alone) can help you reduce belly fat then you are wrong, diet and exercise go hand in hand. An amalgamation of both is important to achieve your goal.
Exercises to Lose Weight
Crunches are the best way to burn that stubborn belly fat, it gives rapid results as well. Abdominal crunches define the abdominal muscles and burn stomach fat.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor
- Place your hands behind your head while holding your elbows out to the sides
- Gently pull your abdomen inward. Now, curl and forward so that your head, neck and shoulder lift off the floor
- Hold for a couple of seconds and release
- Do 12 reps and do it slowly.
Planks are easy to do and have numerous benefits. This exercise can fix posture, reduce lower back pain and strengthen the core. It will redefine the midsection and help you get rid of that belly fat you despise in no time.
Place the forearms on the ground with the elbows aligned below the shoulders and arms parallel to the body at about shoulder-width distance.
Contract your abs, and then tuck your toes to lift your body. Your body should be in a straight line.
Hold for 60 seconds and repeat. Do at least 10 reps.
Bodyweight Side Bend
Bodyweight side bends are something you can do anywhere without any equipment required. This helps develop a mind-muscle connection, improves core strength and spinal mobility. The best thing is that it helps you get rid of belly fat.
- Stand straight with your feet together and shoulder width-apart
- Keep your shoulder back and chest up
- Keep your hands straight. Now, bend at your waist and reach down with your right hand as far as you can
- Squeeze your abs and exhale.
Running or brisk walking, both burn belly fat – calories are burned and the body fat percentage decreases. The only difference is the speed, as you can imagine, a 15-minute run can burn more calories than a 15-min walk. So, you can opt for either depending on your body’s capability. You must not overdo it, remember slow and steady wins the race.
Also read: Sara Ali Khan’s Struggle with PCOD is inspiring
Swimming is a highly-aerobic exercise if done regularly. It can burn your belly fat and it is fun. Swimming can help burn a lot of calories – the faster and frequently you swim, the more calories you lose. It is an ideal choice for those starting out with a workout regime.
Make sure you consult an expert before you go ahead with these exercises to check for any discomforts or back pain.
Written by: Arushi Bidhuri
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 07, 2019