If you have been trying to lose weight, one of the key aspects to consider would be your metabolic rate. Metabolism is basically the process by virtue of which the body utilises calories obtained from food and converts them into energy. A high metabolic rate facilitates prompt utilization of calories hence, there are lesser chances of excess calories being accumulated as fat. Therefore, the higher the metabolic rate, the better it is.
List of 5 things you must know about metabolism
This is a list of the 5 things you must know about metabolism to make your weight loss drive a sure shot success.
- Remember, the process of metabolism cannot be changed completely however, it can be altered by managing calorie intake and increasing physical activity.
- How do you know if your body metabolises calories fast enough? There is a measuring scale called the BMR or the Basal Metabolic Rate, which has to be calculated. Once you know what your BMR is, your calorific needs can be planned accordingly. Your BMR should typically slow down with age.
- Cutting down your calories drastically will never help you lose weight because the BMR would reduce. For losing weight, you need to eat healthy as per a fixed routine, rest well and maintain an active lifestyle.
- Concentrating on weight training and gaining muscle mass should be the easiest way to boost the metabolic rate of the body.
- Healthy weight loss should also involve at least 6 to 8 hours of restful sleep each day. The lesser your sleep, the more difficult it becomes for the body to regulate the levels of blood sugar. Mounting stress resulting from sleep deprivation can lead to obesity.
Ways to speed up metabolism
Exercising to increase metabolism
Exercise is regarded as the most prominent & natural way to increase metabolism. Carbohydrates that we consume are broken down by our body as and when it requires energy. This is the body’s initial source of energy, after breaking down the carbohydrates it will then break down fat and lastly protein. All of these are broken down in order to provide fuel for the body. Excess carbohydrates are converted into body fat and by regular and efficient exercise the fat that is stored can be burned quickly and thus increase your metabolism. Without exercise the fat will just build up and you will be subjected to a slower metabolism.
Time your meals
Instead of having 3 larger meals throughout the course of the day try and have five or six smaller meals, allowing the food to get digested fast. It is also true that by eating smaller more frequent meals your appetite will remain satisfied and prevent you from unnecessarily snacking between meals and therefore eating too much. This is one of the most simple but effective ways of how to boost metabolism!
Step up the liquid
Liquids are one of the key fuels for your body to increase metabolism. Drinking lots of water seems to be the answer to absolutely every issue relating to health and the body. When you consume cold water your body actually burns calories in order to compensate for the loss of body temperature due to the effect of the water.
From the cold to the hot, drinking green tea is strongly believed to help the body burn calories at a faster rate and also it is also believed that this is also the case with milk, most commonly with women.
Getting adequate sleep
The average recommended amount of sleep required is eight hours per day and getting sleep at the right time of day too will also help with how to speed up metabolism, for instance sleep that is had during the night is much better for you than sleep during the day. Keeping a regular bedtime is also better for your body and metabolism and will help you to feel more energized throughout the day.
One other important factor to remember in relation to sleep and ways to speed up your metabolism is that you should make dinner time early in the evening and also try to refrain from eating heavy and rich foods within a couple of hours of going to bed because these foods take more work from your body to digest and will be a factor in keeping you awake.
Also read: 7 Ways lifting weights can change your life
Foods that speed up metabolism
Metabolism boosting foods for breakfast: Milk, Oatmeal, Wholegrain cereal, grapefruit, apples, peaches, berries like blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.
Metabolism boosting drinks: Coffee, green tea, water
Metabolism boosting foods: Broccoli, Low fat Yogurt, Hot peppers, Lean meat & chicken, salmon, tuna & sardines, Olive oil: Replace your fatty oil with olive oil it will keep your cholesterol levels down.
Calories count, portion control rules and there’s no substitute for a well-balanced diet and regular exercise.
Read more articles on Diet & Fitness.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.